CoPilot Live v8 FAQs
× Are you a CoPilot Live v8 customer? If so, upgrade to CoPilot GPS and unlock our latest and greatest turn-by-turn voice-guided navigation features for FREE!
- Why is CoPilot Text To Speech (TTS) not available for Android? On most new android smartphones (platform 1.6 and above), TTS is a free feature within the operating system itself*. You do not therefore need to purchase CoPilot TTS. Simply switch on TTS on your phone as follows: go to Settings > Speech Synthesis. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your Text to speech options. Text To Speech voice will now be used as standard when you use CoPilot.
- How do I download maps to my phone for CoPilot Live Android? Installing CoPilot Live on an Android phone is a two stage process. You firstly need to install the application on the phone, then download your required map region to a memory card for use in your phone. Note: if you purchased CoPilot Live on a pre-loaded memory card from a reseller then you will not need to download the maps.
- Install the application on your phone. If you have purchased CoPilot Live from Android Market, the application should download and install automatically onto the phone. If you purchased CoPilot Live from the CoPilot Live online store or from a reseller you will need to download and install the application from by going to www.copilotlive.com/androidinstall using your phone's internet browser
- Download maps to a memory card. You can do this in the following ways: a) via WiFi, directly from CoPilot Live on your phone. Connect your phone to WiFi Then from within CoPilot Live, select Menu > Get Maps Choose the map area you wish to download. The areas you are licensed to download are highlighted in blue You can download just the map area you need or an entire region You can return and download additional maps at a later time as required
- Download maps using CoPilot Central 2.0 desktop software (available as a free download from www.copilotlive.com/central) Download and install CoPilot Central 2.0 to a Windows PC or Laptop from www.copilotlive.com/central Connect your phone to the PC/Laptop using the USB cable supplied with the phone Start CoPilot Central 2.0 on your PC/Laptop you will need to enter your CoPilot ID, which is the email address and password that you entered into CoPilot Live on your phone On your phone, drag the top bar of the home screen down and tap on "USB connected" Select 'Mount' Your phone should now be displayed in CoPilot Central as 'Android Device' In CoPilot Central go to 'Store' and select Maps. Choose the map area you wish to download. The areas you are licensed to download are highlighted in blue Once you click on download, the maps will be transferred to your PC, unpacked and sent to the storage card in your phone. Please remember to keep the device connected at all times.
- What will happen when I upgrade my ROM to a newer version of Android operating system? Will CoPilot Live v8 still work? Yes, you will be able to use CoPilot Live after installing an officially released new version of the Android operating system. Please be aware that it may occasionally take us a few weeks to fully support new versions of Android, and there may be occasions where a current version of CoPilot Live will not work with the latest version of the Android OS. We cannot guarantee support for unofficially downloaded OS updates.
- How do I transfer my CoPilot Live navigation to a new Android phone? You can transfer your CoPilot Live from one Android Phone to another Android phone, for example if you get a new phone. If you purchased CoPilot Live from the CoPilot Live web site or from a reseller you must first deactivate CoPilot Live on your existing phone before installing onto a different phone.
- Can I download additional or custom points of interest? You can download any OV2 file format add-on POI from the internet and integrate these into your device by copying the BMP and OV2 files into the \CoPilot\Save folder and launching CoPilot to integrate them.
- I can't navigate to a contact from my Android device's address book For technical reasons it is not currently possible to navigate to a contact from your Android device address book.
*Not all android phones support Text To Speech. Check your phone's manual or manufacturer specifications for more information.
If you purchased CoPilot Live from Android Market, it should automatically continue to work after you have updated the operating system. However if you receive an error message that your Google order number is not valid, please contact CoPilot Live Support
If you purchased CoPilot Live from the CoPilot Live web site or from a reseller you must first deactivate CoPilot Live on your phone before updating the operating system
You can deactivate CoPilot Live by selecting Menu > Settings > Licensing then press 'Deactivate'
Once you have installed the OS update you can then re-activate CoPilot Live on your phone
- Does CoPilot Live download maps each trip? No, CoPilot Live is an 'on-board' navigation system, so all maps are stored on the phone or on a memory card in the phone. It does not download maps via the mobile Internet each trip.
- Can I install CoPilot Live v8 to multiple devices? You are only permitted to install CoPilot Live on one device at a time (as detailed in the End User Licensing Agreement). You will need to purchase an additional copy of CoPilot Live if you wish to run it on more than one device.
- Is CoPilot Live v8 available on an SD card? CoPilot Live v8 is available to buy for Android and Windows Mobile devices on a pre-loaded microSD card through our authorised reseller channels.
- Which phones and devices does CoPilot Live v8 work with? Please check our compatibility list for an up to date list of compatible phones and devices
- How much memory do I need to store CoPilot Live's maps? CoPilot Live's maps are stored on your phone or in a memory card on your phone. You will need sufficient storage space to install and run the application. The amount of space needed varies depending on the map region you are buying, but typically: a single European Country or region requires approx 500MB, complete European maps requires 2GB and all of North America (Canada + USA) requires 1.5GB
- Can you send me CoPilot Live on a CD/DVD? Unfortunately we cannot supply a CD/DVD to customers who have purchased the download version of CoPilot Live. However, CoPilot Live v8 is available to buy on a preloaded memory card and also as a DVD installer edition for Windows Phones and Android phones via CoPilot Live resellers.
- How can I customize CoPilot's routing? There are a number of ways in which you can adjust CoPilot Live's routing to suit your preferences. You can create a personal routing profile by selecting MENU | SETTINGS | ROUTING PROFILES | NEW, then name your routing profile and select OK. Choose the type of vehicle you will be driving for this routing profile then select > and you can then customize whether to avoid or favor specific types of roads and also set the speed that you would usually travel at.
- How can I change my CoPilot Live ID Email Address? You can change your CoPilot ID email address using the free of charge CoPilot Live Central 2.0 desktop software Open Central 2.0, log in Click MY ACCOUNT Click EDIT ACCOUNT Change your Email Address Please note if you change your email address, you will need to use this email address from now on. If you are using LiveLink location sharing you will need to change this on your device as follows: Start CoPilot Live on the device MENU | LIVE SERVICES | LIVE LINK | OPTIONS | ACCOUNT SETTINGS | EDIT
- How can I buy Premium Live Services? Premium Live Services (traffic and fuel prices) for CoPilot Live v8 are available to purchase for an additional subscription in USA and certain Western European countries. You can buy Premium Live Services for CoPilot Live v8 in the following ways:
- iPhone: through in-app purchase
- Android: via CoPilot Central 2.0 desktop software
- How can I buy Text to Speech voices (TTS)? Text to Speech (TTS) voices for CoPilot Live v8 are available to purchase in USA and certain Western European countries. You can buy TTS for CoPilot Live v8 in the following ways:
- iPhone: through in-app purchase
- Windows Mobile: via CoPilot Central 2.0 desktop software
- Why do I sometimes see the message "No Results Found" or "You have reached your daily limit of 5 fuel price searches today. Please try again later" when I search for Live Fuel Prices? CoPilot Live uses your phone's mobile Internet connection to check for the latest fuel prices, and so you need mobile Internet coverage to use this feature. Please note that there is currently a daily limit of 5 fuel price searches per user within any 24 period.
- When will a map update be available? Map updates are usually made available approximately every 18 months along with new software versions
- Can I add additional Roadside Assistance providers? Currently it is not possible to add other Roadside Assistance providers.
- How do I setup Live Link? To set up Live Link:
- Go into MENU | LIVE SERVICES | LIVE LINK
- Tap OPTIONS | ACCOUNT SETTINGS
- Tap EDIT
- Enter your CoPilot ID email address and Password then tap OK
- Change the Send Position Every to something low, e.g. 1 minute
- Tap OK
- Tap CONNECT
- Wait for it to have finished downloading your list, if you have no friends added so far you will receive a message saying "You Must first add some friends".
- You can now invite some friends or tap X to close
- How can I send a tracking invitation to someone to let them view my location online? Go into MENU > LIVE SERVICES > LIVE LINK and press the add friends button in the top right of the screen. Enter an email address and press ADD. Your friend will receive an email with a weblink. If they click on the link they will be able to see your location as you move around.
- How do I stop sharing my location with someone? Either delete the friend from LiveLink or disconnect from LiveLink (in LiveLink press OPTIONS > DISCONNECT
- How much data does LiveLink use? LiveLink only uses a few kilobytes of data to report your location. You can reduce your data consumption by reducing the frequency that LiveLink reports your position. In LiveLink select OPTIONS > ACCOUNT SETTINGS and adjust how often to send your position
Premium Live Services: Active Traffic and Live Fuel Prices
- What is included in a Premium Live Services subscription? A CoPilot Live v8 Premium Live Services subscription includes ActiveTraffic and Live Fuel Prices for 12 months use.
- How do I purchase a Premium Live Services subscription? CoPilot Live v8 iPhone and iPad users can purchase a Premium Live Services subscription via in-app purchase. Go to MENU > CoPilot Store > Premium Live Services.
- What is ActiveTraffic? ActiveTraffic helps you avoid wasting time, money and fuel by automatically navigating you the fastest way possible to any destination. It continuously monitors traffic conditions on more than 260,000 miles of highways, city streets and arterials nationwide to intelligently calculate the best route to avoid traffic congestion and provide an accurate estimated time of arrival (ETA). If a faster route is identified, it will indicate the estimated time you'll save and provide an option to preview the new route before deciding to detour.
- What are the key benefits of adding ActiveTraffic to my CoPilot Live GPS navigation app? CoPilot Live with ActiveTraffic provides you with the ultimate in navigation, helping you save time and travel hassle-free to the places you go every day. Whether you're commuting to work, running errands across town or traveling to cross-country, CoPilot Live with ActiveTraffic always knows the fastest route and realistic ETAs. As you spend less time stuck in traffic, you'll not only save time but use less fuel translating into additional savings at the pump.
- How does ActiveTraffic work? ActiveTraffic uses the latest advancements in traffic science to provide you with the best real-time information available on the market today. Providing a foundation of continuous real-time speed and location reports to CoPilot Live every minute for an average of 7 hours per day, per vehicle, commercial fleets - such as taxi cabs, service delivery vans and long haul trucks - represent the majority of our ActiveTraffic network. This information is intelligently combined with data from consumer vehicles, GPS-enabled smartphones and more than 400 other public and private sources to deliver a service that updates traffic information to consumers every minute, ensuring they have the most accurate view of traffic conditions wherever they go.
- Where does ActiveTraffic get its information? CoPilot Live has teamed up with INRIX, the leading international provider of quality traffic information and driver services in North America, to provide consumers with the everyday benefits of ActiveTraffic. In fact, when you purchase ActiveTraffic, you benefit from the same traffic information that 45 state DOTs rely on to better manage their daily operations and deliver traveler information services that serve millions of drivers nationwide.
- How is ActiveTraffic better than other traffic services? Only INRIX combines the best data from the largest traffic network in the world with the latest breakthroughs in traffic science to power navigation and location-based services like ActiveTraffic. While other companies treat arterials and city streets just like stretches of uninterrupted highway, INRIX uniquely factors in the impact traffic lights, stop signs, curb cuts and other traffic control tools have on traffic speeds to provide a significantly more accurate snapshot of real-time traffic conditions and congestion on these roads. In testing, INRIX's patent-pending SpeedWavesTM technology increases the accuracy of real-time traffic information on these roads by more than 70 percent compared to other approaches.
- I already have CoPilot Live's Live Traffic service. How is this better? Offered as a free upgrade to our existing traffic customers, ActiveTraffic coverage extends beyond highways and interstates to include more than 100,000 miles arterials, city streets and secondary roads nationwide. Better traffic information for more roads translates into more time-saving options for routing drivers to their destination.
CoPilot Live v8 Android and Windows Mobile* users can purchase a Premium Live Services subscription from the CoPilot Live webstore: http://www.alk.com/copilot/copilot8-liveservices.asp
* Premium Live Services are not compatible with CoPilot Live v8 purchased from Windows Mobile Marketplace or HTC Leo customers
CoPilot Central 2.0
- Is CoPilot Central 2.0 compatible with Apple Mac or Linux? CoPilot Central 2.0 is only compatible with Windows-based PCs and Laptops.
- Connecting your phone to CoPilot Central 2.0 Please follow the instructions below to connect your phone to CoPilot Central
- Download and install CoPilot Central 2.0 to a Windows PC or Laptop from www.copilotlive.com/central
- Start CoPilot Central 2.0 on your PC/Laptop
- You will need to enter your CoPilot ID, which is the email address and password that you entered into CoPilot Live on your phone
- Connect your phone to the PC/Laptop using the USB cable supplied with the phone
- On your phone, drag the top bar of the home screen down and tap on "USB connected"
- Select 'Mount'
- Your phone should now be displayed in CoPilot Central
- Downloading Maps once connected Follow the instructions below to download maps once connected to CoPilot Central
- In CoPilot Central go to 'Store' and select Maps.
- Choose the map area you wish to download. The areas you are licensed to download are highlighted in blue
- Once you click on download, the maps will be transferred to your PC, unpacked and sent to the storage card in your phone. Please remember to keep the device connected at all times.